This Years Christmas Story Ponderings

 
"And being warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed to their own country by another way." Matthew 2:12 ESV

As I told you in my previous post, I've been trying to read the story of the birth of Jesus around Christmas time for over thirty years now, asking God to show me something new.  I'm hoping to share some of those things with you over the next few weeks.  I'm so excited as I have been reading and remembering different things that the Holy Spirit has spoken to me about through His word and this particular story over the years.  I want to say that just because I call it a story does not mean that it didn't happen. It is not a fairy tale. It is a biography, the story of the living God that He has chosen to reveal to us in written form. Wow, what a blessing that He would want to share His story with us and even more that He would want to share Himself with us. Of course, this is why He wrote this history. The whole Bible has been written that we might know Him. 
Actually, this ties in with what I read today and what the Holy Spirit pointed out to me today.  There is just so much treasure here!! So many directions to take!! Lord, please guide me in what to share and how to make it clear that those who read might know You more.
So I felt led to read the account in Matthew this morning. I tend to read Luke's version most often and I'm sure I will read it as well later.  But this morning as I purposed to read about the birth of Christ, Matthew 1-2 was my text. Let me insert here that you should always read the lineage portion, don't skip it because you can't pronounce all those names or that you think it is boring! In another post I will share with you what God revealed to me in the lineage. So don't skip it, God put it in there for a reason and He just might want to share something with you amongst all those names!
Matthew 2:12 was the verse that first stood out to me in this text. It is like God puts the breaks on and says, let's stop and look at this verse some more. I found it hard to read further. The words that seemed to bother me or arrest my attention were "and being warned in a dream".  My reaction was honestly a little fear because I am so self centered and way too often react to scripture as to what it has to do with me. Is God going to do something to me or someone I love? Why the warning? O, I get so irritated with myself , being so absorbed with me. Getting past that and asking God why this seemingly obscure verse was what He was going to teach me from this year, He opened up by eyes and thoughts and now I am excitedly writing about the learning journey this morning! God is just so very cool! How I long to know Him more and for you to know Him if you don't and to know Him more if you have a relationship with Him.
As you read the story of the birth of Christ in Luke or Matthew you will see that there are quite a few dreams, warnings, and encounters with angels. These were God's method of speaking to people at the time, not everyday but on special occasions. These were certainly special days! Does He do that anymore? Why don't we have these experiences? As I thought about this and talked with God about it He brought to mind the very short Christmas note in John. This gospel starts out saying: “In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.” It goes on to talk about how everything was made through Him. Then further down it says: “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” This is what happened when Jesus was born. This is Christmas! In fact, if you read John 1:1-18 you can get a glimpse of Christmas and Easter, basically the gospel. Do you see some Philippians 2:5-8 here as well? The Bible is all so connected. It is telling the same story in so many different ways over and over again so that we can grasp it.
God sent the Word to become flesh and dwell among us- Immanuel meaning God with us! So He has spoken to us in dreams, visions, and visitations. He sent His Son to walk among us, to live out and speak truth, to die and be raised again and He has given us His written word, the Bible-speaking through prophets and various men of God who faithfully wrote as they were guided along by the Holy Spirit; all that we might know Him. “Therefore My people will know My name; therefore they will know on that day that I am He who says; Here I am.” Isaiah 52:5b HCSB

Does God still speak through dreams and visions? Yes, but most often He speaks through His word, the Bible - the preaching, reading, studying and hearing of His word. Why does He speak? O how He wants us to know Him! Read the Bible. Ask Him to reveal Himself to You. Seek Him. Listen to sermons on line. My pastor is currently preaching through the Psalms. Here is a link to listen to those messages or you can choose by topic, passage or speaker http://www.desertspringschurch.org/messages/ . God has done so much that we could know Him. He will even give you the desire to seek and know Him. He will reveal Himself to You, just ask!

O Father, that we might know Your name and know that You are He who says; Here I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun with Family

Real Life Picture Lessons

Abounding in Thanksgiving